The best way to prevent dengue virus infection is to take precautions to avoid being bitten by mosquitoes. Below are a few tips that may help reduce your risk of mosquito bites:
· Turn over empty pails and buckets so that they do not collect excess water.
· Cover the buckets and drums that are used for storing water.
· Clean out all empty flower pots.
· Ensure you do not over water potted plants.
· Clean and empty water bowls of domestic pets at home and the water bowls of birds in the balcony.
· Repair broken septic tanks and cover vent pipes with wire mesh if any.
· Discard the plants that you keep in water at home.
· Wear clothes that can cover you completely. Wear long-sleeved shirt, long pants and closed-toe shoes instead of sandals.
· Apply mosquito repellents whenever possible or wear mosquito patches.
· The mosquitoes that carry the dengue viruses are most active from dawn to dusk; keep windows and doors closed during theses hours.
· If you have a cooler at home, make sure you clean it regularly.
· Keep the dustbins clean; do not let any dirt get collected to avoid mosquitoes.
· Light camphor as it will help in keeping the mosquitoes away.
· Sleep under a mosquito net.